jeudi, février 24, 2005

Mass lay-off

Today's certainly an unusual day. I never expected to experience company acquisition and staff lay-off during my very first co-op work term! And it came all of a sudden. Nobody's heard of anything about that before today's lunch time. At 11am, we were still having a QA meeting, and the QA director was talking about the possibility of extending our co-op contract for the summer, and my supervisor was planning for the final drop of the PDF project. Just one hour later, the whole QA team except us the three co-ops are gone. I just couldn't imagine that! Why was SchemaSoft sold to Apple? And why Apple can't even retain a couple of QA people? Maybe that's just what business means. I don't understand business though. Anyways, now we co-ops are 'in charge of' the QA part of the project. But how am I gonna take up the responsibilities? My supervisor apparently didn't teach me all the stuff that she has been doing... Worse comes to worse, it's only six weeks though. Apple obviously doesn't need the QA team here as they have their own. I can stay simply because I'm a co-op and they can't lay me off before I complete my work term. Sad. I've become someone extra now... What's sadder is that I gotta start to look for another co-op job seriously now. I hope I can get into a larger company just to avoid another acquisition/lay-off/whatever!

Aucun commentaire: